Saturday 11 October 2014

To The Nonbelievers...



        They say to aspire to be a fashion designer is unrealistic, but I say, "Do you wear clothes?" It's funny because I don't think anyone who has ever told me that working in the fashion industry is too far fetched, was naked. Wait, let me think? Yeah, I didn't think so. As they stand in front of me and tell me how I won't ever find a job in an industry they've clearly invested, for some reason, I'm not too convinced.
  No matter how many people criticize the fashion industry they have all invested in it at some point, making it the multibillion dollar business that it is. Yes it is a world full of vanity, and I can recognize that but in my long career as a fashion crazed female, I've learned a thing or two. I've learned that it takes a certain kind of creature to admire the indecisive, nit-picky nature of the fashion designer; not everyone has the patience to sit around and talk about the differences between "egg shell" and "off-white", but if you do then you're definitely one of the few who was made for this. I've learned that there are many subcategories under the title consumer; wealthy, not so wealthy but still spend like they are, the savers, the splurges, those who "don't care" but still invest, and those who pretend not to care. And as a personal message to the 50 year old men out there who" don't care", I as an 18 year old girl with fairly descent eyesight (18/20)  care that you keep investing in the clothing you'd rather not buy.
  I have known clothing to be two things, if nothing more. Clothing 1. Covers the bare skin on our backs and 2. Gives us something to work for. If ever I feel complacent with my style, all I have to do is take a stroll down 5 Ave. Watching the "clackers" as they were labeled in The Devil Wears Prada, stomp up and down the streets in their five inch heals, dawning the freshly pressed Yves Saint Laurent coats and their JCrew pixie pants snaps me right back to fashion reality. In the fashion world, there is no such thing as finished; it is always changing.

  So thank you to the shopaholics for creating a steady job for me as an aspiring designer. Thank you to the nonbelievers for investing anyways (even if it was to avoid a streaking fine). Lastly, thank you to those who are smart enough to know that the fashion industry is undying, and can recognize that a job as a doctor might be more steady, but one in fashion is just way more fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment